J.D. University of Wisconsin
B.S. University of Wisconsin
City Attorney, Portsmouth, VA
Assistant City Attorney, Suffolk, VA
Assistant City Attorney, Atlanta, GA
Associate, Evert, Weathersby & Houff, LLC
Associate, Willcox & Savage, P.C.
Selected Professional Memberships:
Virginia State Bar
National Bar Association
National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
Old Dominion Bar Association
Local Government Attorneys of Virginia
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
South Hampton Roads Bar Association
Portsmouth Bar Association
Norfolk Bar Association
Distinguished rating by Martindale Hubbell. ©
Admissions to Practice:
Wisconsin Supreme Court (1995)
Virginia Supreme Court (1995)
Georgia Supreme Court (2000)
Affiliations and Volunteer activities:
Southeastern Public Service Authority Board Member 2018-2020
Old Dominion Bar Association Board Member and President 2022-2024
Portsmouth Outreach Foundation, Incorporated
National Bar Association Region IV
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Wisconsin Alumni Association (African American Alumni Association)
Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Committee 2nd District Secretary
Solomon H. Ashby, Jr.
An accomplished trial lawyer, Solomon Ashby, has over 25 years of experience litigating in circuit courts across the state of Virginia, federal district courts, and Maryland, Florida and Louisiana courts of record. He has represented plaintiffs and defendants in legal disputes involving individuals, corporations, cities, authorities, chief administrative officers, municipal employees and department heads. His practice focuses on the representation of individuals, corporations, businesses, cities, counties, towns and authorities in personal injury, wrongful death, automobile accident, product liability, workplace injury, PTSD claims, compliance, commercial disputes, casino gaming, diversity, equity and inclusion, employment claims and contracts.
Mr. Ashby, a civil lawyer, has served as counsel for individuals, municipalities and businesses involving contract negotiations, development agreements, casino gaming, land use, zoning, public procurement, and commercial litigation.
Diversity, inclusion and equity has always been a hallmark of Solomon H. Ashby, Jr. Mr. Ashby’s service on the board of non-profits and specialty bar associations exemplifies a lifelong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. A child of the 1960’s whose mother integrated the teaching faculty in Chesapeake Public Schools, Mr. Ashby’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion has continued since his early advocacy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison that resulted in the 1987 Steering Committee on Minority Affairs Final Report (“The Holley Report”), a demand for diversity and equity that resulted in the university’s response, The Madison Plan .
Relevant experience includes:
- Represented SWAM (MWBE contractor in six figure contract dispute.
- Represented plaintiff in premises liability, trip and fall, action against a fast-food franchise in federal court.
- Represented plaintiff suffering from lifetime injuries requiring exhaustion of primary insurance and underinsured motorist policies.
- Represented plaintiff in medical malpractice and medical device product liability.
- Represented plaintiffs in more than 50 premises liability, automobile personal injury and trucking cases
- Negotiated a $300+ Million development agreement for a casino, hotel and entertainment district.
- Acted as counsel to acquire seven privately held properties for future economic development.
- Advised clients with respect to newly formed businesses, joint venture agreements and long-term contracts.
- Acted as counsel to supervise litigation and negotiation of the reacquisition of 54 acres of nonproductive land from failed 12-year-old development on behalf of the economic development authority.
- Served as counsel to civil service commission concerning grievances, employee applications and job skill testing.
- Advised a public pension system .
- Advised municipalities, city departments and public pension system on issues concerning Virginia Public Procurement Act (VPPA), Conflict of Interests Act (COIA), Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act (GDCDPA).
- Advised city department and public pension board on the preparation of Invitations to Bid (ITB), Request for Proposals (RFP), Request for Quotes (RFQ), negotiation for services, bid disputes, contract disputes, bidder evaluations, bidder protest and protest litigation.
- Advised individuals and departments on the application of zoning ordinances.
- Defended, negotiated and prosecuted overweight vehicle citations in various cities.
- Negotiated and prosecuted criminal violations for failure to pay meals taxes and past due city taxes.
- Represented numerous corporations in mass tort litigation including asbestos and silica.